Saturday, February 28, 2009

Confinement practices

When grandmother Clara insisted that I do confinement, I was so defiant. So old fashioned!!!! But after doing my research, I relented (to some).

Food, ginger, DOM:

No seafood, chicken and egg due to the stitches. So its just fish and pork, drenched in rice wine for warming the body, ginger to dispel the wind. Soupy dishes to increase breast milk flow, fruits for fiber.

There is a need to "warm" up the body so that mummies can perspire to expel the wind and whatever water retention.

Pig Trotters with black vineger:

When we did the antenatal class, the physiotherapist told us that mummies lose a lot of collagen in our body. That why mummies have a tendency to creak and crack whenever we move our joints. This is because the body is preparing for childbirth by softening the ligaments.

So after birth, in chinese culture we must eat pig trotters (the skin and fats) to replenish the collagen in our bodies, the black vinegar is to break down the cartilage of the pig trotters , so it is calcium infused and the ginger is to dispel the wind. Luckily, I like to eat this dish. I must eat more so I can have more collagen for my face, must look pretty mah. I guess that is why some mothers look even better after giving birth. But it DAMN fattening.. what the heck!!

Drinking of water:

I asked Dr Han on why we can’t drink water and he explained that water is considered ‘cooling’. He said the pores are open after delivery, so we shouldn’t introduce cooling things. So every drink must be warmed like milo, or the longan drink. He say don’t defy and drink… he say I follow (doctor lei) But I tried my luck by asking if we can drink warmed ribena.. he say no.

Grandmother Barbara said not to drink water too. She said she didn’t follow, and still drank cold water, that’s why she bloat and never was able to lose her pregnancy weight, scary... coming from an Eurasian, she win... I’m following

Bathing:

Grandmother Clara allows bathing and washing of hair, so there isn’t any problem. But still don’t understand why must mummies bath in herb water… but I’m not pushing my luck here

Not exposed to the "open"

I had my windows all opened, sat in front of an osilating fan, slept in air conditioned room. Oh man, I even walk around topless. Can't help it as this breastfeeding thingy is damn difficult. There is the pumping, latching, sleepy child, blah! So trying..

Wearing bed room slippers

Its the don't walk around bare foot cause of cold floor and wind and the whatever. I read the malays are very particular about this cause mummies should not hit their left big toe. (The uterus point is there) I learn from my massage lady that the left foot has all the major organs points, so its important to start massage from the left foot. Interesting..

My thoughts on confinement: MUST.. I take back what i said... Will do it for my future babies.. It is very necesary as mummies are treated like a queen during this time. I felt so weak the first 2 weeks..and not forgetting the F$%^ing pain..arrgh! I just couldn't keep my eyes open half the time, BB[V] was also a sleepyhead then. As I regain my strength so did she and now I miss her sleeping days cause NOW she is always awake!! Me got no me time!!!

Bottom line: I will only follow these selected few as it is for beauty. The rest forget it….

No comments: