Friday, March 1, 2013

Singapore Mom Bloggers


My post today is actually to share what do Mom bloggers do?

A lot of moms started blogging because of various reasons but the main reason shared was that we would want to document everything that is life changing. We are individual, independent, just doing our own stuffs. 

Over the years, each of us gets invited for events and gradually started to see each other more often than not. We saw how the children started to grow, share stories and the fact we are mummies, we never frown when the child misbehaves or gets cranky, it is PART of motherhood. We instantly found comfort with each other. 

Singapore Mom Bloggers
It was till recently a community of mom bloggers was formed in Facebook  and mom blogger Rachel got us together. It was a pure invitation online community and I found it very ‘chi chi’ and exclusively. (Click on the logo on the top corner of my blog, it links you to the website, submit your blog)  It was daunting at 1st coz each blogger must produce their work and share in the FB closed group. I got like omg, how to churn the post weekly?  I work only by inspiration, it sort of got scary.

Over time, I started to notice a trend, it really doesn’t matter what topic you write. It doesn’t have to be a best seller worthy, it just have to YOU.  The support that the mommies give were amazing…. Some of them are like hawks that visit each blog diligently; they become your friends with you even before you know it. That is the endearing part of the whole community. 

Like how I blog, I too read blogs only when I’m inspired. Slowly, I started reading blogs on my laptop so that I can write a comment to these mommies who took time to blog.  I actually take a portion of my morning work to read some; I give myself 3 each day- selectively. Each time a different mom.

Slowly we started to attend events together, somehow each time we got closer.

The latest was Avent, Rachel kindly organized it for us. She has her marketing background and knows exactly what we need when we attend a event. The Singapore market has been tapping on Mom Bloggers, an upward trend just like US and many countries around. 

How we work?

Blogging has been a very interesting format in the advertising world, the fact is blog post don’t disappear in the WWW. The readers have an instinct trust in personal review especially if that person is one you know and believe in their opinion.  Brands can spend loads on media like magazine and TV, but eventually people forget because they don’t ever see it again. Most consumers are on their smart phone and the quickest way to get information is to do a google search.

Just an example: 

Avent Event
Mummies of the Singapore Mom Bloggers were invited to a new product line from Avent. Avent has recently launched their new ‘Natural’ & “Comfort’ line and this design is their 1st in 29 years! I will share about the products when I am down with my product review. 

The PR & Event company chose a nice quaint house at Newton and got all dressed up. It definitely got my nod of approval for making the effort, I sort of immediately wanting to buy the product then remembered I am at an event oppsy!

like cute right?
effort... little touches across the house
We were allowed to mingle before the presentation, mommies of course were catching up and also getting to know new ones.  This event allowed us to bring the kiddos, babies and hubs, they even prepared a changing station, playground, catered food for kiddos - to be served with the Avent cutleries of course. How apt right? 
they were a noisy bunch while the mommies where busy "working"
By working, I mean us being busy- chit chatting 
After the presentation that lasted 15-20 mins which included some games and give-aways. It was all done! We each was given a bag with a thumb drive (PPT included), a file with company and product write up- includes the range and pricing, oh and a nice grey nursing shawl. We breathe to write, so no need to spoon feed us, just provide necessary stuffs - products. After the dinner, we moved around to feel the product. Asked questions and of course take photos. At this point, if I may add... if you wish to host a bloggers event, please look into lightnings of the place. We were struggling to get a good shot. 

comprehensive spread!! 
but actually tea and cupcakes will make me happy. I think I was the rare few that ate the cupcakes! The rest I think was on diet. 0.o

After 10 over photos from samsung and iphone.  the photo came alive after editing it 
It was about 830 and started to pour again! the children got cranky and we each made our way home. Cabs were called and we each had cab money, very thoughtful of them. Our little door gift that we can bring back to the child.



Things to note if you want to host an event

1. Choose a location that doesn't ruin your event regardless of the weather. 
2. Food will always be welcome including children friendly menu- NOT all coz mommies love to feel like an adult most times. 
3. Transport fees as most mommies don't drive, initiative to call cab when event is over
4. An enclosed area where children are welcome to ruin
5. Changing area for infants
6. Lightings that are bright. Need not be for EVERYwhere, just around your product line
7. Gifts are welcome

Things to note if you want to engage a blogger to review a product/s

1.  Send the products before the event. This PR company had some issues passing the bottles and pumps to us 1st .. so we don't have much questions to help add value to the event. Bloggers need to feel and experience. 
2. If its a lone collaboration, give us time to complete it. We don't work well with deadline (not all), if you want a power post. Wait. 
3. If its a review, there is the before and after photos... the experience etc. Ideally pair it with a giveaway. 
4. Be willing to pay their fees or have product worth about the same. This post took me 3.5 hours to conceptualise,write, edit photos, watermark. You get the gist. A lot of bloggers are SAHM that take time out to do this AND and FTWM who squeeze/balance their time (usually sleep deprived moments) to write them!!

9 comments:

mabel :) said...

I enjoyed the last part of the event's coverage, pointing out the good and bad of its PR team, the most!

"4. An enclosed area where children are welcome to ruin" - This especially tickled my belly. Haha.

E said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Estella said...

Good points on media events and engaging bloggers and by the way, you're looking good!

Unknown said...

tks for dropping by mabel.

Hahaha thats the objective, then the mummies have free time !!

The PR team did great at hosting it all, just some teething parts. They did admit that is their 1st! so very good le la...

Ai Sakura said...

Very thoughtful points about the event and how PR firms can improve their blogger outreach and events. Hope to meet you at one soon too :)

loveourchildrennow said...

Hi Florinda! Enjoyed this post. Like you, I write on inspiration too. I still do. So it is difficult for me to write for anyone.

That's why I really agree with you point about giving time. I write when I have a story. Story takes time to develop and appear. They don't always do.

Sounds like a really fun event you went to! I hope to join some event one day! :)

Unknown said...

@ai sakura

Thanks for dropping by, hope to see u too

@loveourchildrennow

Oh kaki - hi 5!! yea I need to be inspired, once it hits me and i dont get to write! i have like withdrawal symptoms hahaha

SMB will be having a event soon .. hope to see u soon!

Unknown said...

Totally agree. 3.5 hours.... Probably interrupted too!

M said...

Whoa the Avent bottles look s different. Like Tommpee Tippe and Avent had a baby, nice.