Thursday, November 3, 2011

Purpose

Have u ever wondered what's your purpose in life? I did ask myself before and got lost in my direction. I have been asking myself this for the last one month and didn't get that answer till today. You know how you life you get caught up in the many competition and comparison till it blinds u? Yeah it got into me for awhile. I hate it all which is why I dreaded what I was doing few months back.

My purpose when I started to do Mary Kay was real simple, I just wanted to make someone's life different. To allow them to change that something that they have been wanting to change. I went into this business coz I saw one of Mary Kay words "it's not just selling cosmetics, you are changing lives" I held on to this and decided to go for that change. The change could be their face- skin to glow, look younger, have firmer skin; I'm a believer of the products and am a living testimony. The change would be their lives - wanting more time with family, having a purpose, more money; whatever they yearn to change. The last one year, I didn't care if I was earning money or not. Money has always been the last thing on my mind, I went around asking people; to try the products or to have this opportunity. I never knew how Mary Kay marketing plan worked, didn't care how they paid me. I just was busy, happy busy.... Loving every moment and absorbing all these blessings from the customers, consultants. I totally loved what I was doing.

Things got difficult for me when my consultants didn't share that same vision with me, some coming to do this for just the money. I got suffocated, I tried ways and means to want to earn the kind of money they seek to have - which to me wasn't my purpose. I just wanted the other person to be happy. The excuses they gave, I took it personal- maybe it was my management skills, relationship skills? Something was not right. I couldn't figure it out... I got great money but I missed my relationship with my customers and consultants I treasure kinship lots, people who knows me knows this.

As my unit grew, I was not able to manage it as the best I can. There was no longer individual time for each of my 50 consultants. I longer knew what happen... At this point, I knew this is it. I spoke to successful directors, sales development people etc finding how I can do better. But at the end I had a burnout.

They last month was just ultimate, I had enough and gave myself a good break. Just slept, ate, did jackshit. I missed the me, that person who I really was. If I wasn't hungry for money, why did I force myself to seek for it just to show that it can be done? Was it competition or....? I may never know..... Today was a wakeup call for me, I went back to why I wanted to do this business. < I wanted to change lives. > It may seem impossible but I really use my heart to do this business. I know the day will come when people see it.

Today starts me going back to basics... Loving myself, loving that one other person out there who is willing to change their lives, their skin, their attitude toward life.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I feel you! Was in insurance because I wanna help people to realise the importance but then the team wanted $$$ so keep bugging me to achieve target.. eventually I was kicked out.. ;p

Kenny Leow said...

friend, actually it is pretty simple. Just continue to work with your team that has the same vision.

Only 20% of your team members will need your guidance to reach their goals. The rest just come and go.

Invest time on those who step forward and you won't be burnt out.

Unknown said...

Sarah: I hear u! Oh MK not that like insurance la

Kenny: oh I have no problem with my unit, they are working and enjoying the process. It's just me getting lost in this money world which I'm not used to. I'm simple and it's back to basic for me. Loving what I do most.