Friday, August 9, 2013

National Day

V has been bugging me to let her listen to this particular National day song. She hummed to me and like all Singaporeans, it was a spot on choice. I love Singapore songs and it always my favourite part of the national day parade. I read an article and it was a foreigner Huge Harrison who wrote most of the popular ones. *shoutout to Huge Harrison, Thank you for those wonderful songs!!

The one that touched V was "One People One Nation One Singapore" by Jim Aitichison and Jeremy Monteiro. I have been singing to it every time she plays it and it does touch a certain spot in my heart. Not sure if u have ever sang a national day song and have that sudden overwhelming feeling of gratefulness?

Just yesterday, V had her National Day celebration and whilst in the car wanted this song.  Then the minute I hit the expressway, she insisted on her school bag *rolls eyes. We hit a traffic jam and I passed her bag, she took out her national flag which was given to her by her school and from my rear mirror, I saw her waving her flag to the tune.  WAVING, wah it was something I have not done in ages and I got choked with emotions because it reminded me of those days where I was so passionate about our Nationality.  I decided to sing along with her....

We've built a nation with our hands
The toil of people from a dozen lands
Strangers when we first began, now we're Singaporean
Let's reach out for Singapore, join our hands forevermore

Chorus:
One people, one nation, one Singapore
That's the way that we will be forevermore
Every creed and every race, has it's role and has it's place
One people, one nation, one Singapore

And when the time comes for the test
Our vigilance will never rest
We'll be united, hand in hand
We'll show the world just where we stand
And reach out for Singapore, join our hands forevermore

( Repeat Chorus x 2 )

One people, one nation, one Singapore


Fantasticfindonline




Today as usual, we will spend our evening watching the national day parade. We did the touristy thing yesterday by going on a Hop on and Off bus around parts of Singapore, which was really fun! Enjoy your long weekend and appreciate what we have achieved for the last 48 years. 

No comments: