Friday, July 2, 2010

17 months

so we spent the whole of last month teaching her words of survival. Not apple, orange, red, blue etc. But more, eat, drink, please, thanks, crackers... digged out the long forgotten baby signs DVD for her to watch religiously every morning. Lo and behold, she picked up so fast it wasn't funny! Now she not only can sign the words, she can actually say those words. (something to note: like all human beings, teaching in the morning is most effective than afternoon or evening. Like enrolling in preschools, there are actually extra charge for morning sessions) This month, I'm taking a break from her Tv as last month I felt was overdose. She gets to watch her Hi 5 or Wiggles, nothing educational just plain enjoyment, during the journeys in the car (my survival kit).

Her vocab has since increased, though can be very selective on when she wants to talk and when she does though the things she does makes us laugh! Coz its so comical when she tries to illiterate her version of the story. Like that day, Grandpa Ng came back from work and she stood there telling him the cockroach story. Pointing to aunty Nita and DD T, hitting the floor, saying scared, splutter "pops" (means grandpa) "daddy", "Tita" (Aunty Nita) Then Grandpa Ng entertain her and was like "what are you trying to tell me? and she repeated the actions all over again while me n DD T was laughing our guts out by her actions!! She was actually trying to tell Grandpa that there was a cockroach walking in the hall, DD T and Aunty Nita took newspaper to kill it.. while she was sitting on MM F's lap getting very scared! CUTE right?

I have been trying desperately to video her last few months but she doesn't allow it. Everytime I take out the video or iphone, she knows and will stop. So boring....

I have been really busy teaching her lots and my days have stretched me to the max sometimes. You all know I don't do flash cards or books, coz I mainly teach her the items in real life. I talk alot to her, I mean ALOT! Sometimes I think I'm mad coz its so tiring talking to myself and I nag at her lots (which is my form of discipline), hoping that it will drill into her head one day. Ever since phase 2 (which was maddening), I preempt a lot of her fore coming issues and am implementing it way ahead. I have be more advance as my V thrive on new things, like now I give her choices... morning is "shower or breakfast", "pasta or porridge", "romper or top", the day is longer becomes I have more things to say and waiting for her to make a decision sucks! I no longer make decisions like last time .. chop chop and is done. I give her the opportunity to think which works her mind lots and she likes it.

Even simple bathing has become so long winded, I mean in the past I will dump her in the bath tub and use my iphone to FB or surf net. Now I wait for her to remove her clothes (means she pulls the top off herself), turn the shower head over and create a "fountain", teach her how to bathe herself. Then everyday left hand right hand, eyes, nose, head, etc.... tiring right? Like if we were going out, I will throw her the socks and she will "try" damn hard to wear them.. It just to pass time while we get ready. Basically you get the gist on how long my day is... sometimes I think all these may just be futile.

BUT..... that day I drove back from my sis house after my TVB cheong-ing day... she was watching her DVD in the car and dropped her toy, so she got all upset and started to scream (as usual right) , I totally ignored her as there was a jam and I needed to concentrate etc... So as she was screaming, I heard a "MUMMY HELP ME!" I was shocked la! Coz it was so clear!!!!! I had the urge to turn back and tell her "well done" but I know the minute if I do that she will scream even more. So I looked through the baby mirror and saw that everything was all worth it.

I'm waiting for the day we can have great conversations together... its soon I believe

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw sweet, I think the extra effort will be totally worth your while. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

U r most welcome .. :)