Sunday, November 14, 2010

Grasshopper's 25 anniversary concert

this is my secret ... no one knows except my sec school classmates...


I adore adore the Grasshoppers... Yes me.. the potato english speaking girl who studied in a convent school since Pri 1 is a fan of them hahaha. I have yet to miss any of their concerts in Singapore till date... thats how much I enjoy going :)

Hmmm how did I start? Well it all started when I was in Sec 1, the one with atrocious chinese grades.... My classmate is the daughter of Super Coffee, so during that time they advertised alot in TCS or rather mediacorp... So she had tickets to go watch some variety in the studio.. free. A bunch of us was invited, we were keen to go as it was something different and who will miss best seats, with connection like this. That night, Grasshoppers performed.. man they were just so awesome! So the next day in school, we started to find out about them and what songs they sing etc. Just silly things we did then... I mean I like english songs all these while and was never exposed to the Mandarin pop. But this was great fun as our whole class started to go crazy over them... was something we did as classmates I guess.

So with free time on the pretext of revision after school, we will go to my gf's house to watch those TVB variety shows coz her mummy rents them... they were rich and we were not, so we tapped on the mom hahaha. I started to buy their music tapes, cd eventually to listen to them when I studied... Was a good thing as my mandarin improved alot and my cantonese too! We went for a concert at about 16 years ago and it was THE best concert I have ever been, Metallica couldn't even beat it!!! No joke.. We were standing on the chairs, dancing and the screaming!  ... concert had like 3 or 4 encores.. it was crazy!! All the concerts that I went after paled in comparison...

I was also introduced to a lot of other hongkong artistes at that time... But eventually it died down... then I went on to Robbie Williams (not Take That days hahah) Yes Im a fan! for I think he is very F**k-able ... I like bad boys... but sad to say I don't ever think he will perform here.

No one who got to know me could comprehend why is it that I love to go canto pop clubs. Maybe it reminded me of their concerts... which is why Grasshopper's concert is always touted as the party of the year concert. It is really a stand and dance for 3/4 of the time type of concert...

When DD T heard that I wanted to go Grasshoppers concert many years back he was shocked! He cannot see me as a  person who will appreciate chinese concerts... but eventually accepted it as part of my weird past. Like how I would watch cantonese series but not chinese ones.... listen to cantonese/Hongkong artistes rather than Taiwanese artistes.  But its just something I do.. I drive and listen to chinese radio for this is my only time to listen to chinese as I don't watch much Tv any more. I don't speak mandarin much as no one in my family speaks.. we are all english educated... so there are times I just speak in mandarin to my friends for that is the only time I can practice.

So today I went for their 25th anniversary concert and all I can say is it brought back so many memories ... songs that were sang brought me back to that chapter of my life. The simple girl before I started to fly.. where aspirations and dreams were just words with no meaning. I am so so so digging out the CDs...


the crazy crowd.... when standing and dancing is the norm in this concert... you hardly sit here.

No comments: