Friday, March 8, 2013

Singapore Mom Preneurs


Tell us about yourself. What prompted you to start your own little biz? 

I once had a dream, on my 21st birthday, cut my cake in Seoul and wished that at 30 years old, I will be happily married with children and didn’t have to work.

 

I started working since I was 14 years old - holiday jobs and part time. At 18 years young, I started flying while everyone else was studying and enjoying their childhood. I grew up quick and I believe missed a good 5 years of young adult years in terms of thoughts. I quickly catapulted into adulthood and always thought all I needed was to pass my 20’s and 30’s will be bliss.

 

It all happened, I got what I wished for. Pregnancy made me stopped work at 30 and had Victoria. It was an amazing journey and having Victoria was the turning point in my life. She was a high need baby - I learned so much from her, read so much about her. We started to be a team and amongst all adversity I became stronger and started to see things from a different perspective.

 

At about this time in my life, they say that “Each Day of our lives, we make deposits in the memory banks of our children” and that “Children are educated by what the grown up is and not by his talk”. I started to search for a dream, my dream that has been long forgotten. I long to give back to the society something like doing volunteer work, it has always been an innate desire but like what my husband says “Doing this doesn’t pay you”

 

I stumbled upon Mary Kay by attending one of their classes, the values of the company was what I wanted- “God 1st , Family 2nd, Career 3rd” it was just calling me to do this. I tried their products and the result on me was amazing, my confidence level went up a notch. It was from their constant training, I found my self worth.

 

I took a plunge and started to do the biz and that was 3 years ago.

 

Tell us about your little business.

 My little independent business (when it started) was just to enrich women, to teach how to use the products/servicing my customers and the results were rewarding. 2 years later, while I was pregnant with my 2nd, I took a plunge and got myself certified as a Style Coach and started my company Style Essence by providing services but exclusively using Mary Kay products.

 

Style Essence is a Singapore based beauty and image company that offers expert services on styling, makeup and skincare. We specialize in Style Coaching, Skincare consultation, grooming, makeup services and workshops. We pride ourselves in our ability to make an impact in our clients’ lifestyle through our workshops and offer creative solutions to individual needs in beauty and styling.

 

Style Essence is my brain child but being a team player, I roped in partners to help with the brand. Interestingly, all of them had the same belief like me. We all are married, have faith that we will be guided to be great role model for our families. With this, Style Essence brought about entrepreneurship to like-minded women like us.

 

Why did you choose this to be your biz?

 I first started using the Mary Kay products and the change in me was amazing. Instead of looking for something to create my dream, why not use an award winning brand that is in their 50th anniversary this year to start it! I was already a walking billboard!

 

Where did you get your ideas for your brand: biz name, logo, ‘look’ etc?

The brand name came about because of my belief that it’s not only image that is important but also have Style. The best part of being stylish has to come from the essence of an individual! That’s how I came about the brand name – STYLE ESSENCE.

A partner’s husband who helped us professionally created the logo and ‘look’ and we absolutely love it! I may be awesome in what I do but designing on a computer is not my forte, I leave it to the professional.

 

What is the thing about your biz that makes it stand out from the competition?

The Company is based on this “I sincerely believe that all you send into the lives of others does come back into your own. If you give of yourself without thought of financial gain, the financial gain will come” It seems like a long shot, but we know it will attract like-minded people and customers to our company and appreciates that we should just make people beautiful. Our unique selling point is that we personalize workshops/services that we offer according to clients needs. We are not a generic beauty and image company, we offer results that our clients are able to earn and apply in their lives. By knowing our clients needs, we can service them impeccably!

 

What has been the most challenging thing for you so far as you have been building your biz?

The most challenging thing is overcoming rejection and negativity from the people around. With every snap I get, I grow taller and stronger. 3 years down, I am a totally different person from what I used to be. Negativity doesn’t bring me down anymore, I have been at my lowest emotionally and I will never go there again. It’s dark and depressing. 2 years ago, I got dejected and rejected; I struggle with going to want to make people beautiful. That was the time, I wanted to raise the white flag…  but it was also at that time an angel came - My family friend. He saw how I was struggling and gave me some kind words, he said: In this world, there are 2 kinds of people; one a natural sales person- he who can sell anything you asks him to. The other is like you Florinda; the Hardworking one. I swear it was upon his words; I woke up the next day feeling the top of the world because he told me I CAN conquer the world just because I am hardworking.  He has since passed on but I will hold on to his statement to dearly.

 

What aspect of building your little biz do you like working on the most? 

In my biz, I love the mentoring/coaching aspect most. I build on business on allowing the people and customers have the time to have that shift in paradigm of thoughts. It is the most time consuming part but it’s the most gratifying.

 

What is next for you?

I look forward to having more offsprings- both in my business and family. I am back at work after the birth of my 2nd and it’s going to be an intense period to make this business work. But I have faith that I will rock this industry.

 

What advice do you have for other mums who are thinking of or trying to build their own little biz from home? 

My advice to you is that you need to know your reason. That ‘why’ you are doing this is very important. If you are not clear of it, it will be a struggle and you keep looking for opportunities but not do well in any of them.

 

Disregard what others tell you, if you spend so much time thinking that it will not work, it will not work. Don’t give up when you find it difficult to replace your negative thoughts with positive ones. It takes time and perseverance to getting used to looking at positive thoughts.


A parting quote “Never Give Up, Miracles happen everyday”


Disclaimer: This was a feature I wrote for Mum@Work.. I decided to use this article as it represented what we wan to achieve in this linky party 








2 comments:

Estella said...

the last bit struck me! think about the "why" you are doing it.. :)

Susan said...

Flo, after attending yesterday's session with you, all I can say is, you're a natural. I've learnt and picked up things from you and am so happy to have attended the session. It must be tough going at time but I can tell that you've a fighter and can do spirit in you. So keep doing what you love, do it well and make yourself proud :)