Thursday, April 18, 2013

What's in a name?

naming the children


thought i better write this down before i forget...

English Name: Victoria Eden Ng
Chinese Name:




okie her chinese name is calculated.. both of us are not scholars to create a nice sounding name.. and 4 grandparents can't read chinese.. *duh* so we resorted to having the professional to do it.. we thought of skipping the chinese name but honestly we really don't want her to suffer in school, u know those deprived chinese teachers whipping up their own conconctions of chinese words and then the poor gal would have to suffer for the many godamn years.. screw that

so we got dd trev's family geomancer to do the job.. when dd Trev came back, I asked dd trev how to pronounce , as usual he let go his cannot make it chinese pronouncation (till today he cant pronounce his own chinese name).. I was like why the name so old skool!! why no stylo mylo chinese name, but as if i know what is stylo mylo lar.. Grand uncle ah meng took bloody 1/2 hour to count the strokes and dont know what else..and the best part is after the drama, Grand uncle came up with only ONE name... I was like "wtf"..

Okie, fine.. there we are stuck with this name .. then came the difficult part , dialect and hanyu pingyi... we were given just the chinese characters and was asked to figure out the dialect part.. honestly, we suck in this.. so screw it.. my daughter doesn't need a dialect or hanyu pingyi name.. we ain't going to use the name.. I believe I'm going to be the only one remembering this name anyway..just few days later, DD T came to me and ask me what is her chinese name, cause he forgot how to pronounce.. I told him don't bother and ask me when she is in primary 1...

meaning:

si : think, reflect, desire
hui: wisdom

both letters have a "xin" .. this is to ensure that she puts her heart and soul into whatever she does

Victoria: this name was chosen way before she was made.. somewhere in 2004, way before we were married, both of us were holidaying in England and came across this name. I casually told DD T that I have always like this name , surprising he too liked the name.. so we did make a unwritten pact about using this name. When we were told that we were expecting a girl, we looked at each other and knew exactly who she was to be. So in fact she was already in our minds and hearts even before she was born, for we never had a male name and it was an irony that our 1st born is a girl.

Being catholics we needed a bibilcal name but wasn't sure if Victoria was one. I took time to check on the internet but I couldn't find it on the list. So came the search for a second name.

Eden: We had a list of name that we tried to pair with her first name, but no matter how there wasn't one that was smooth sounding or that we could agree on. Then came a day as I came across this name of Eden. I did a search and realized that it means "Beautiful, lovely, enchanting, epitomizing feminine characteristics". Wow, loved it.. it encapasulates what I wanted for my girl.

so there you have it..

Victorious, Beautiful, Thoughful, Wisdom and she does everything with a heart



English Name : Kate Lauren Ng
Chinese : Huang Si Jia

It started off as Elizabeth coz of the 50th jubilee shit that we were watching, then I kinda like Amber, Lauren. Trev loved Elizabeth but somehow it didn't rub off well with a lot of people coz it was too long. We googled the nicks and got liz, eliz and they all sounded like lizards - trev hates them! So we took the name off. Amber was pretty but sounded fiery, had enough of temper from V so thought its time to tone it down. Lauren was my favourite, but T tot it was Laurent and asked me y a man's name?

Finally we settle on Kate, coz it was in tune with Victoria and its a real pretty name. Although she may have issues with "late, cake" but then again all names will be made fun off in school... So no fret. We had her chinese name calculated, Huang Si Jia 思佳, very much in tune with the sister name on wisdom. Its cute as their names are matched to mine, not the father's. That I didn't know, it was counted from my name and V to K's. Apparently she has a fiery temper just like the sister, and that we have to cultivate calmness and zen. What's new? so its music time for this one too... she is of no problem from now till 19 years , from then till 32 is trouble... when I heard, I told Trev aiyo boys and love la, what else can be of a problem at 19-32 years old right? The grandfather heard and told us to buy a big dog to guard her then hahhah. My 2 girls have no problem in school and will excel and will need loads of money for education. *somehow its a singaporean problem isn't it?

Linking up :



2 comments:

Jamie said...

Kate is a very pretty name, I was almost going to call my girl Kate too :) I like Lauren too!

Madeline Heng said...

Those are nice sensible names for your girls! Tell me who no prob from 29-32? Haha.