Thursday, February 10, 2011

Mary Kay


everyone in Mary Kay has a story to tell..... written when I was deciding to go for my directorship 

I joined in March 2010, went into Sales director Christina's skincare class, sat down and was pretty much convinced with the products. Didn't seemed like a con job, prestigious looking company with great credentials and so I signed up with Mary kay with $100 (to get a bag of products that is worth more than that amount) that very day as I really do need that range of skincare to go back to work and to get that at 30% was pretty much a good deal.

As like all normal people, I was one of those who left my Mary Kay bag in a corner while I carried on with my daily life forgetting I joined something until Belle reminded me to place an order in April... Plus the fact I was free so I agreed on attending some class to get $100 off my purchase. That day I learnt more about MK and its unique culture, and yes I was falling asleep most of it as its been years since I attended a course!!! It was really just something I wanted to enrich myself in the midst of parenting....

I placed my 600 points order and waited for the products to arrive and by that time its was May. Used the products with lots of enthusiasm and the effect was amazing! So that month Belle asked me to attend some unit meeting for some training which I decided "okie really no harm in seeing" Then OMG I was amazed by the enthusiasm of the women I saw that day.. like come on this is so unreal! Tears, hugs, laughters.. I sat there with folded arms and decided I may have stepped into a cult or something. Left the place and decided that this is not my cup of tea.

That month I was asked to help out in a school's event; corporate skincare class for the teachers and thought oh well... why not. Since parenting was starting to take its toll on me and I needed a valid reason to do something with minimum cost... and so I followed. Totally learned alot that day and spend my hours talking and chatting up with people and left very pleased with myself and so decided to ask my mummy friends if they were keen on attending one similar to one I just attended. Approached Shann 1st as at that time we seem to be chatting with each other almost everyday and the response I got was "I WANT!!!, She is my Idol!' I swore at that moment I was wondering if I was the one living in Mars as she seemed to know this brand way better than me...  she wanted to know if Mary Kay was the person who was to conduct the class and I sadly told her "eh die le " *opps. Nevertheless her excited rubbed off me and offered her place for a class.. since we were also due for a gathering and so we organized one that day.

The class was conducted by Belle while I stood by watching and assisting... the mummies were having great fun. That day I sold a little products which I decided that I could order another round.*yippee its what I call simple pleasures. During that time,  I chatted with some other people, recruited 2 friends (hoping it will rub off to them) and then I gradually died down. By June, I made a visit to office for some makeup class by this Malaysian Senior Sales Director Joanne and she "prescribed" some products and techniques to help me get my youthful glow. So my 3rd batch of orders was mainly for my usage ... I got complacent and did other stuffs, telling myself that selling ain't my cup of tea for my hopes of customers wanting to reorder seemed to have diminished. For me, to train my 2 beauty consultants were also real tough as my experience was really limited, at that point Belle was going for her directorship and so she really couldn't guide me along This was the point when I was real down..... cried heaps too, why? coz i sucked hahaha

In July, I received an email from a girl and she wanted to get for me a eye primer... as I am a techie freak I did go into some beauty forum to answer some questions, she was one of those that I answered, something about oily lids as she can't never put on eyeshadow. I met up with her at some cafe and she was so excited to be able to get the product as she did ask her friends in Malaysia about it and this friend swears by it. I think her friend was doing this in Malaysia.... While chatting with her she was looking at my skin and asking me how I achieve this and so I shared my story. suddenly she asked me how to get a discount if she will to buy? I was very apprehensive about asking her to join as I felt I was inexperienced to lead her into this. She however was real adamant about it.. so I called Belle to put this girl under her for her to lead but she refused. For this girl was attracted to me and could click.... and so at that point I  decided that I must be better in what I did.

From that day onwards, I made visits to the office, sat in many people's classes to learn how to better myself and brush up on my skills of the skin care class. I spoke to alot of people in office on how to do this business better and found out that by being on the "ladder of success", company will give you leads. So I up my game... During this point, it was toughest time! for I have absolutely no idea how to sell and sell well. I sat in front of the computer trying to find tips but failed for great sales people can't write or teach. Its a very personal game.... I started to ask top sales people, my husband and of course my father in law- the person who sold cigarettes when he was a poor man and is a self made millionaire. His words of wisdom were "What is rejection? it worthless Florinda... don't get the emotions get the better of you. Totally pointless to sit here trying to figure out a way. You gotta do it and learn."

I swear its sounds easier than done... I struggled so hard with myself, fighting the worst part of me and hiding the best part. I ended up crying alot.  I know if I fail at this point I will never succeed in life for this is my big boulder that is blocking my path to success. I struggle many times opting out and going to find a "real" job for its seems so much easier, but nothing pays more in life than sales job and one that allows up to climb up in ranks. I saw a bigger picture then...

Everyday is a struggle but like all jobs it will always be.... I flew 11 years and still had crappy passengers who will irk me and I took it personal.. but hellya that's life.  I work hard because I have a determination and have realized in my life, I must never make excuses. If I am lazy then admit it... I however have started making efforts to observe successful people in life and realized they never made excuses ... at all. 

I am not sure where this journey brings me, I just know I got myself the fantastic skin I always wanted. the business aspect of it is just a start. This is a waiting game like all businesses, the most patient one wins.

No comments: