Monday, February 14, 2011

Preparation for preschool

Since we are on this topic, let me do a post on this.

Before I decided on this school, (I took 3 months by the way) I brought her to 2 schools that is of walking distance of my inlaws. I definitely can't do this on my own and need help to pick her, emergencies cases etc, so it has to be near someone. (http://victoria-eden.blogspot.com/2010/12/playgroup.html)

My final decision was actually done by Victoria herself. She attended both schools 2 times, basically I requested to hang around and watch what is going on with her for 30-1 hour each time, just to have a know how on the school operates, the teachers manners, hygiene rendered, behaviors of her classmates, temperature of her daily life in school etc. Very comprehensive thoughts right? but hey you all been reading my blog for 3 years, you should know me by now.

By the end of 2 sessions with each individual school, I concluded that V enjoyed the schoolhouse alot better despite her complains of it being "hot" (not air conditioned). The teachers there was able to get her involved in the activities, classmates were very well mannered, old school structure but the vibes were alot better. The centre however had 3 super rowdy boys, the ones that potentially would provoke V, too empty a school to actually judge the daily goings. (few other stuffs that I frown on but lets keep it as so)

When I finally settled on it, paid my fees.. drove almost every time we were at grands to the schoolhouse and told her she is starting school, that this is her new school. Like advised by Mrs Sim, we bought her a new water bottle, new bag, packed her bag together, chose her "security" something -Elly toy, bascially got her involved. On the day of school, inspired by Ashley's daddy little prep talk after all her drama, I spoke to her "Victoria, today is your 1st day of school, please listen to your teachers, no fighting, no biting, no crying" We shook our little pinkies and we dropped her off. I didn't hang around in class as I already knew what to expect as I did all that during my research. I did the prep talk for 4 days and on friday, just told her "Please enjoy school okie" That was it.

Today, she refused to change into her uniform, wore her PJ top and school bottom, cried heaps when the grandparents left her. But was told that by the time she went inside to get a tissue, she stopped and never cried after. I can't really gather my thoughts to do my work which is why I'm blogging as its officially Victoria's day today as I was so worried about week 2. But its seems, all has settled in pretty well.

Like all women, when the one thing that troubles us is settled... we can finally work in peace.

No comments: